Saint Louis the King IX Catholic Church History
After Bishop Noa announced the formation of St. Louis the King Catholic Church in Harvey on June 30, 1954, Father David T. Harris celebrated the first St. Louis the King Mass at the Chocolay Township Hall on July 18, 1954. Following groundbreaking in 1955, the basement of the church was constructed and served as the church for the next four years.
Menze Construction began construction of the new church July 1959. On December 25, 1960 the first Mass was celebrated in the new St. Louis the King Church. On February 28, 1960 Bishop Noa dedicated the Church. At that time, 120 families were registered in the parish.
June 30, 1954
Bishop Noa announces formation of new parish, St. Louis the King.
July 18, 1954
First Mass said by Fr. David Harris in Chocolay Township Hall.
Aug. 1, 1954
First baptism: Eileen Marie Williams
Sept. 21, 1954
First Funeral: Larry Lajeunesse, age 13.
Jan 15, 1955
First marriage: Leonard Lemieux & Marion Tousignant.
July 3, 1955
First Communion: Seven girls & 13 boys.
July 20, 1955
Groundbreaking for the new church.
Aug. 4, 1955
Menze Construction begins work on church. Cost of structure $28,000.
Nov. 5, 1955
First Confirmation: Twelve girls & 14 boys.
Dec. 25, 1959
First Mass in new church.
Feb. 28, 1960
Bishop Noa lays the cornerstone and blesses the new parish.
June 4, 1960
Fr. Allan Mayotte ordained to priesthood, the first parish son to become a priest.
Gazebo project completed.
Rectory & church re-located for construction to begin on new church.
Mar. 14, 1999
Bishop Garland breaks ground for new church.
May 13, 2000
Dedication of the new church. $1 Million mortgage signed on Sept. 30, 2000.
Father David Harris
Father Charles Strelick
Father Joseph Callari
Father Lawrence Gauthier
Father Guy (Steven) Thoren
Father Ben Paris
Father Glenn Theoret