St. Louis the King Catholic Church
Reopening Guidelines – May 2020
We are now embarking on our journey of reopening our church. This is a gradual process, and we are grateful for your continued patience. Resuming the public celebration of Mass does not mean a return to normal. As we strive to extend the love of Christ to one another, we still need to observe social distancing precautions. Participating in the public celebration of Mass as any public gathering entails a risk of contracting COVID-19. We must all do our part to reduce that risk as much as possible. The following directives, passed down by our Bishop, Most Rev. John Doerfler, will be in effect until modified or rescinded:
· Given the limited capacity of the churches and the recommendation that those with greater risk stay home! A dispensation from the obligation to attend Sunday Mass has been given.
· It is recommended that persons age 65 and older and those at risk due to other health conditions stay at home. According to the CDC, 8 out of 10 deaths from COVID-19 in the U.S. are people age 65 and older.
· It is recommended that pre-school age children remain at home.
· Church capacity will be limited. For daily Mass people are to sit in every other pew and sit at least six feet apart from each other in the pews. The church will be set up as a weekend Mass to provide additional space. Those who live in the same household may sit together. Sunday Mass will be celebrated outdoors on church grounds to allow more people to participate.
· The broadcast of Masses on our webpage, www.sltkchurch.org, will be continued as a means of participation for those who cannot attend.
· When you come to church for the celebration of Mass or to pray privately, please observe the following:
· Please wear a face mask inside the church out of concern for each other. See the attached resource from the CDC regarding face masks. Because priests are far enough away from the assembly when they are in the sanctuary, they do not need to wear a mask there. However, they will wear a mask when distributing Communion.
· To reduce risk and the need for cleaning, it is recommended that you use the restroom at your home and not at the church, though the restrooms at the church will be open. Practice good hygiene. If possible, bring hand sanitizer with you and your own cleansing wipes to wipe down the area where you sit when you arrive and when you leave. If you do not have hand sanitizer, wash your hands before you come to the church and after you leave. Avoid touching your face until you have washed your hands.
· Keep a safe social distance of at least 6 feet from other people.
· Stay home if you are experiencing symptoms such as a fever, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, or any other symptoms of illness that could be transmitted or could compromise your health.
· Stay at home if you have been exposed to a case of COVID-19 or traveled to an area that requires a quarantine when you return until you have completed your 14 day quarantine. If you have had positive testing, stay at home until cleared by your doctor.
· The congregational sign of peace is to be omitted.
· Procedures for the distribution of Holy Communion:
· Communion will be distributed under the form of the Sacred Body only.
· You are strongly encouraged to receive Communion in the hand as a temporary measure during the pandemic and as an act of charity toward the minister of Communion and the lay faithful in the Communion line.
· Follow the directions given at the parish for coming forward to receive Communion and observe the safe distance of at least six feet from other people in line. We will have hand sanitizer available in the aisle for the people to sanitize their hands before receiving Communion.
· Choirs will be omitted, and the music led by a musician and cantor, no hymnals will be available.
The first phase for St. Louis the King Parish will begin as follows:
May 21, Thursday – 9:00 am Daily Mass, in the Church
May 22, Friday – 9:00am Daily Mass, in the Church
May 23, Saturday – No Public Mass
May 24, Sunday – 9:00am Online Mass; www.sltkchurch.org, FB, myParish App
11:15am Outdoor Mass at Gazebo- FM 105.5 Radio
Weekday Masses will then resume on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 9:00am
Weekend Masses will continue with 9:00am online, and 11:15am Outdoors until further notice.
The Sacrament of Penance will resume on Saturdays at 3:00pm beginning May 21, by drive up and staying in your car, provided that safe distances of 6 feet are maintained.